Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from snowy Maine, USA
Hello All,

I've been using some form of Linux since 2007. Even though LL mainly targets Windows users, I find that is suitable for the more advanced Linux users as well. It has a nice blend of sane, simple defaults and minimal bling while also being attractive. Major kudos to the devs.

I haven't extensively tested the distro but a few things stood out to me right away:
  • The task manager and screenshot utilities in the desktop right-click menu are very handy and something that I haven't seen in other distros.
  • I was a little surprised to see that there are no cursor themes installed by default. While I don't mind the no-frills X cursor that LL uses, I imagine new users may like a few options. Was the minimal inclusion of cursors and GTK themes intentional to keep the ISO small? Just curious.
  • It was nice to see a font other than standard Sans used. Another good font from Google/Android is Roboto.
  • Everything appears to work OOTB for me on an Acer C720P (chromebook). The only thing that I found a little odd was that my cursor changed to a VERY slanted cursor during the installation process. Obviously it's not a deal breaker but I noticed it.

To the devs: Keep up the great work, you've made an excellent distro! The LTS factor is much appreciated when many other distros are trying to be bleeding edge. Thanks!
Welcome , glad that you like the distro , new to the lL forum but not to LL .

Looks like a great bunch in here .
HP DV7 i7 2670QM 500.1GB 8GB Ram Dual-Boot LL2.4 Beta / Extix 15.1.1 64-bit 
Dell Inspiron 1720 CrunchBang 11

Duckduckgo ( for now )
Hello Mike,

Welcome to the Linux Lite community  Smile
Welcome
Life on earth is expensive but it does include a free trip around the sun.
Thank you all!
Welcome to the forum and community. Happy Thanksgiving Smile
(11-27-2014, 08:47 PM)mlsmith link Wrote:
  • I was a little surprised to see that there are no cursor themes installed by default. While I don't mind the no-frills X cursor that LL uses, I imagine new users may like a few options. Was the minimal inclusion of cursors and GTK themes intentional to keep the ISO small? Just curious.
  • Everything appears to work OOTB for me on an Acer C720P (chromebook). The only thing that I found a little odd was that my cursor changed to a VERY slanted cursor during the installation process. Obviously it's not a deal breaker but I noticed it.

Welcome mlsmith, both those issues are fixed with a new default mouse theme in 2.2
How did you install LL on a Chromebook? Would you mind posting a separate tutorial? What works and doesn't work eg. touchscreen. I think people would find this extremely useful. Thank you.
Quote:I think people would find this extremely useful. Thank you.

I second that..
It would be great...
Dave
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks Smile

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)
(12-13-2014, 03:23 AM)Jerry link Wrote: How did you install LL on a Chromebook? Would you mind posting a separate tutorial? What works and doesn't work eg. touchscreen. I think people would find this extremely useful. Thank you.

I can certainly do that. It has gotten MUCH easier to configure since the release of the 3.17 kernel. Previously I had to compile additional modules to get the touchpad and touchscreen working. After installing 3.17+ (I'm currently using your 3.18) almost everything works without much configuration. There are a couple of other tweaks that I do as well to fine tune it which I can mention in the tut.