LINUX LITE 7.2 RC1 RELEASED - SEE RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENTS SECTION FOR DETAILS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laptop keeps disconnecting from WIFI
Question 
Does anybody know what could cause this, and how to fix it? I have Linux Lite installed, wifi card is "Realtek RTL8723BS-V2.0 WiFi+BT" and every time after I boot up everthing works fine (mostly, sometimes even disconnects right after boot), but then after some time it just keeps disconnecting (pop ups show up every minute or so) and can't do anything about it

CPU: Intel Atom x5-Z8350
RAM: 4Gb
Storage: 64Gb
Notebook in general: MEDION E4242
https://www.medion.com/gb/service/produc...l/30024330

I just installed it, really haven't done much on it. I only did the updates (update && upgrade) and installed Firefox
Also I haven't used the notebook for quite some years, so it could be, that the error lies on the WIFI chip or whatever (tried with adapter I had lying around as well, still didn't work). Wanted to get it to run more smoothly and host obico on it.
First thing I would do is try to get a bit more information from the log.
Boot as normal.
Open a terminal by pressing Ctrl Alt and T together.
Maximise the window and run this command to show your network interface names.
Code:
iwconfig
Make a note of the wifi adaptor's name - typically it will be on the same line as your wifi network name.

Wait for the problem to occur and make a note of the time it happens.

When running the next command, replace <your-wifi-adaptor> with the name you noted from iwconfig.

Run this command to see what your system has logged which references the adaptor name.
Code:
journalctl -b | grep <your-wifi-adaptor>

Review the output - look for any events that are logged around the time the disconnect occurred.

If there is anything interesting, repeat the same command saving the output to a file called 'wifilog.txt' in your home directory.
Code:
journalctl -b | grep <your-wifi-adaptor> > ~/wifilog.txt

Next, run this command to show everything that was logged around the time.
Replace the first <hh:mm> with a time one minute before you noted the problem happening and the second <hh:mm> with a value to capture say 5 minutes worth of events.
Code:
journalctl -b --since <hh:mm> --until <hh:mm>

If there is anything interesting, repeat same command saving the output to a file called 'wholelog.txt' in your home directory.
You can adjust the times so that the since/until window just covers the interesting events.
Code:
journalctl -b --since <hh:mm> --until <hh:mm> > ~/wholelog.txt

You can edit the files to remove any personal information before posting it back.
stevef
clueless