Linux Lite Forums
Hello! Thanks for the distro. - Printable Version

+- Linux Lite Forums (https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Introductions (https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Hello! Thanks for the distro. (/showthread.php?tid=1021)

Pages: 1 2

Hello! Thanks for the distro. - seoneal7 - 10-18-2014

I just installed Linux Lite for my mother. She's been running Windows 7, but her system has been wrecked by malware (she's not the only one in the house who uses the machine).  She was complaining about how slowly it's been running lately and about the ads, popups, etc. I decided that rather than format the drive and reinstall Windows, I would just replace it with a Linux distro. I tested a few, and Linux Lite seemed best suited for the job.

Looking great so far. Doing a dist-upgrade at the moment. She'll be getting back into town, Monday, and I'm going to surprise her with it!

Hope everyone is doing well, and thanks for the cool distro! 

Re: Hello! Thanks for the distro. - bitsnpcs - 10-19-2014

Hello seoneal7,

Welcome, you and your mother to the LL community  Smile

Re: Hello! Thanks for the distro. - Valtam - 10-19-2014

Welcome seoneal7 Smile

Re: Hello! Thanks for the distro. - rokytnji - 10-19-2014

Howdy and Welcome

Quote:she's not the only one in the house who uses the machine

;D

Re: Hello! Thanks for the distro. - anon222 - 10-19-2014

Hello and welcome. Smile

Re: Hello! Thanks for the distro. - N4RPS - 10-20-2014

Hello!

Welcome to Linux Lite, and to the world of malware-free computing.

Although Linux solves the matter once and for all, most of the time (almost always), Windows can simply be cleaned without reinstalling it. This is done through using a 'toolbox' of freebies, to include CCleaner, AdwCleaner, and JRT (Junkware Removal Tool). The computer is kept clean by NOT setting other users up as Administrators...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

Re: Hello! Thanks for the distro. - seoneal7 - 10-22-2014

^ You're right. It probably could have been cleaned. Suppose I also just wanted to run an experiment. I've run Linux myself for about six years, now (vanilla Sid and Arch). Wanted to see if my mom could adapt to perform her basic tasks, and it seems she can. She uses LibreOffice at work. That's another plus.

Re: Hello! Thanks for the distro. - newtusmaximus - 10-22-2014

Word of caution.  Your mother might need a seat belt in case she can not cope with the speed of your computer Smile Welcome.

Re: Hello! Thanks for the distro. - Tony Gamble - 10-23-2014

Windows can simply be cleaned without reinstalling it. This is done through using a 'toolbox' of freebies, to include CCleaner, AdwCleaner, and JRT (Junkware Removal Tool). The computer is kept clean by NOT setting other users up as Administrators...

As an equally new recruit to Linux I am reluctant to challenge a 'gold' poster. BUT I spent many hours trying to speed up my wife's laptop running Win 7.

Every time she turned it on it took ages (many minutes) before the disk light turned off and the desktop regained useability. It seemed obsessed with updating itself - or that is what it looked to be doing. I used all those tools but I could not get back to a machine that you turned on, watched it boot and then started to use.

I have now moved it to Linux. It is usable in forty five seconds. Fully usable. And all the grumbles have dissolved away. She is happy.

We are never going to revert back to Windows as far as she is concerned. The only reason I have posted this message is to see if anyone wants to add a bit more about cleaning Windows in case I find chums with similar problems but who are reluctant to go down the Linux path.

Tony

Re: Hello! Thanks for the distro. - Valtam - 10-23-2014

Happy wife, happy life Smile